Etape du Tour 2017
Ride the Etape du Tour – Let us do the Rest!
Activity Level Challenging
Group Size Medium Group
Etape du Tour – July 16, 2017
Distance: 178 km, Total Elevation: 3529 m
In 2017 the 27th Etape du Tour will replicate Stage 18 of the Tour de France 2017, the last day in the high mountains for the pro peloton, and surely one of the key stages of this year’s Tour.
This long high mountain route will be a major test of muscular endurance, with around 120 km of hard riding BEFORE you hit the first major climb of the day – the Col de Vars. The real test, however, will surely be in the last 30 km from Guillestre to the summit of the Col d’Izoard (2360 m), which begins rising slightly through the Gorges du Guil before the climb proper begins at the junction of the D947 and the D902. The last 6 kilometers of the Izoard average over 9%, ending this stage in epic style!
The Etape du Tour is an incredible experience and the memories you will take back home will stay with you for a long, long time. However, it is also a logistically complicated event, whether you’re coming to ride it alone or with friends.
44|5 Cycling Tours’s twin Alpine chalets near the heart of the Etape start (Briançon) have the amenities and conveniences to ensure your racing weekend is exceptional. We will pick you up at Turin airport and from then on all your transport, food (except lunches) and accommodation is taken care of. We can even arrange a high-performance carbon-fiber bike for you on request. Let us take care of the logistics and support so you can make the most of your Etape weekend.
- 3 nights accommodation at our luxury chalet
- All breakfasts and dinners
- Complimentary sports nutrition
- Pick-up and drop-off at Turin airport
- Transport to/from Etape ‘village’
- Drop-off at race; pick-up at finish
- Expert guides to see to your needs
- Registration to the event. Go to the A.S.O. website from Oct 21st at 8 am (CET) to register
- Transportation to/from Italy (i.e. flights)
- Lunchtime meals or cafe stops
- Drinks outside dinner
- Hotels before/after your tour
- Bikes – through our rental partner, France Bike Rentals, you can have a bike waiting for you at the race village in Briançon when you arrive.
- Travel insurance (we highly recommend you purchase a travel insurance policy that also covers your bike)
July 14: Arrival and Transfer to Accommodation
• Pick-ups at Turin Airport: one in late morning, the other mid afternoon (TBD).
• Transfer to our Alpine chalets in Briançon,
• Assemble bikes.
• Catered dinner at the chalet.
July 15: Ride and Race Village Visit
• Hearty breakfast at the chalet.
• Drive to the race ’village’ to pick up race packs.
• Afternoon ’shake-out’ ride (optional).
• Dinner at local restaurant
Breakfast and dinner included
July 16: Race Day
• Early breakfast then ride/transfer to race start.
• Transfer/ride back to chalet after event.
• Celebratory dinner at the chalet.
Breakfast and dinner included
July 17: Transfer to Airport
• Morning transfers to Turin airport.
Located within a 5 minute walk from the UNESCO-listed old town of Briançon, 44|5’s two catered chalets have a commanding position overlooking the newer city below and the Durance Valley.
You will have a short ride to the start line on Sunday morning and will be close to the race ‘village’ to collect your bib numbers and race packages.
Etape du Tour 2017 Climbs
As the French would say, there are two difficultés in this year’s Etape – the Col de Vars and the Col d’Izoard. However, both of these climbs come near the end of the day. Do not burn your matches on the run-in, which looks flat, but is anything but. There are two smaller climbs between Briançon and Barcelonnette – where the road starts to rise ever-so-slightly towards the Vars – and you’ll have over 1000 meters of elevation gain on your computer by that time. Save a bit of juice for the finale!
Col de Vars
Elevation: 2108 meters. Length: 14 km. Gain: 798 meters. Average Gradient: 5.7%